Chicago Bronzeville house fire death of 3-year-old Story I. Chamba – Obituary
WLS-TV in Chicago reports The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office has identified a 3-year-old girl who perished in an apartment fire Saturday morning in Bronzeville on Chicago’s South Side.
According to authorities, the girl, named as Story I. Chamba, died of burns and smoke inhalation after being dragged from the flames.
The fire was determined to be incendiary, likely ignited by cooking on the stove.
“It’s dreadful just to see her laying there like that,” a neighbor who did not want to be recognized said.
She claimed she witnessed the unspeakable when firemen rescued her neighbor’s 3-year-old daughter’s lifeless corpse from their burning flat after the girl’s sibling screamed for assistance.
“‘Call for assistance,’ he urged. ‘Please assist me,’ he murmured. ‘I have my small sister and my dog in the house,’ “The neighbor remembered.
The 3-year-old and her 13-year-old brother were at home alone when the fire broke out in the 600 block of East 43rd Street early Saturday morning.
According to officials, the children’s mother had been at work and was on her way home when the fire department came and saw flames pouring out of the second-floor flat.