Meshioye Remilekun Toyosi dies in Cairo after falling sick mid-flight to London

Cairo death of Meshioye Remilekun Toyosi – Obituary

A tragic incident unfolded during the journey of a Nigerian student, Meshioye Remilekun Toyosi, who embarked on a voyage from Lagos to London aboard Egypt Air.

Regrettably, her journey took a sorrowful turn as she fell critically ill mid-flight, eventually passing away at a hospital in Cairo.

The bereaved family of the deceased is grappling with grief and seeking answers while desperately seeking assistance to repatriate Meshioye’s remains to Nigeria.

This ill-fated odyssey commenced on a fateful Monday when Meshioye set out from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos with high hopes of reaching her London destination. However, fate had a different plan in store.

Narrating the heart-wrenching events that transpired, Meshioye’s elder sister, Mrs. Olufunmilola Olaniyi-Alabi, disclosed the family’s relentless efforts to seek information and clarification from the airline.

Their pursuit of answers was met with frustrating silence as calls to the airline’s customer care and other provided phone numbers went unanswered.

Olufunmilola recounted, “We made numerous attempts to contact Egypt Air, with only one fleeting connection to a man at the Egypt Air Regional Office in London. He informed us that the London office had no knowledge of the incident and possessed no information to share.

Desperate for information, we also contacted the ticket agent who had facilitated Meshioye’s booking. The agent subsequently provided evidence that she had not boarded the flight bound for Heathrow from Cairo. This revelation intensified our determination to establish contact with Egypt Air.”

The situation took a turn when the regional manager at Egypt Air’s London office initiated contact with their Cairo counterparts on Thursday afternoon.

The Cairo office revealed that Remi had fallen gravely ill during the flight. Upon landing in Cairo, she was rushed to a local hospital, where she tragically succumbed to her condition. Unfortunately, efforts to glean further details regarding the circumstances of her passing remained largely fruitless.

Olufunmilola expressed her dismay, insisting that Egypt Air should have proactively reached out to the family, rather than leaving them in the dark, devoid of critical information.

As of the time of this report, the airline had yet to provide the family with the answers they desperately sought.

She added, “We communicated with the Nigerian Embassy, represented by Mr. Saliu Agraza, who informed us that Egypt Air had only notified them of Remi’s demise on Tuesday. They took custody of her remains but lacked any additional information or contact details for her relatives.”